Saturday, September 6, 2014

Time to put my hero hair on

Weather: Cold, then cool, then nice
Encounters: Uber, a slug, and a rabbit
Summary: Catch-up edition
Four times a week: Wishful
I couldn't let an entire week go by, so here I am, writing on a Friday. I've got excuses, though! I spent last week frantically preparing for a visit from my fiance and two good friends, which was Friday-Monday. And then our game launches in three days so work's been pretty upended. So I present you with the sum-up edition, to be followed by the Hero Hair edition.

Sum-up Edition
I managed to get another hole in my tire sometime around Tuesday night. The tire was flat as a flat thing on Wednesday, and without time to fix it before work I hopped on the bus. I had to take an Uber home - my first time using the service. It was pretty painless, and definitely cheap. Nice to know the option is available. The tire held its air long enough to get me into work on Thursday, but I had to change it that night before my ride home. Saw a slug, though, so that's something. And tonight I scared the crap out of a rabbit who seemed extremely upset at its inability to find an escape route along the path. It kept ducking to one side or the other, eventually continuing to run straight away from me because there was nowhere else to go. Poor guy.

It was straight-up *cold* on Tuesday, with an extra bonus surprise thunderstorm during my lunch break. One of my coworkers actually called an Uber home from the restaurant she'd went for lunch because paying $7 was better than swimming back to work. It was somethin.

Hero Hair Edition
I got an email today from the 3rd-party company that manages my contract. It was simply a reminder that my contract ends on the 26th, and that someone would be at the studio to collect my badge and bus card. Thanks guys.

I've got my three-month review on Monday, which is a little weird coming in the wake of that email. It basically means one of three things:
  1. They're not renewing my contract, and I'm out of a job again.
  2. They are renewing my contract, but haven't told the staffing agency yet and this is just a "default" letter they send 3 weeks before your contract ends.
  3. They're promoting me to full-time! That means good bye contract company, and please get hit in the ass by the door as you slink out.
#3, unfortunately, is rather unlikely.

Honestly, there's enough uncertainty to the whole situation that I can't really draw a conclusion from it. But it's never fun to be reminded of your "mortality," or of your general status (when that status is significantly lower than you'd like it to be, anyway). Today was a double-whammy in that regard, as the studio gave out copies of our finished game to all employees. To put it in pure monetary terms, the package given to full-time employees was worth more than seven times what the contractors got (and if you go by current Ebay prices, more like fourteen times). I wouldn't be (that) upset about it except that pretty much everyone had been under the impression that contractors would be getting the same thing as full-timers. Throw that bitter pill on top of the expiration-date email... it was a stupid day.

I'm getting a new shift lead. She thinks it'd be crazy to let me go, but unfortunately I don't think she'll get much say in the matter (which may have already been decided anyway). So I have to assume that I'll be out of a job in three weeks, which means it's Hero Hair time. Applications, personal development, finding limbs and going out on them... whatever I can do. I've got some leads, some hopes, some ideas -- I just need to execute on them.

I'm getting pretty tired of spending my life on the ground floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment