Saturday, July 26, 2014

I apologize

Weather: Cool, partly cloudy. Pretty nice.
Slugs: 1, titan class
Musings on religion: mild

There is nothing quite like a room-temperature cocktail.* I decided as I was approaching the house tonight that, it being Friday, I should have some whiskey. So I got the rye, Fernet, and Benedictine (like you do), carefully measured and poured, and opened the freezer... to find not a single ice cube. So tonight's Oldfield is a little on the <ulp> warm side.

Kronk is my spirit animal.

Oldfield, h/t Cocktail Virgin Slut
2 oz Rye Whiskey
0.5 oz Fernet Branca 
0.5 oz Benedictine 
1 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir WITH ICE and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.
You might be wondering why this post is titled "I apologize." Well, several weeks ago I made the bold claim that Seattle slugs "didn't hold a candle" to Boston slugs in terms of individual size, but attempted to make up for it in volume. I was apparently mistaken, because I nearly ran over a slug on my way home that I'm fairly certain would have given me a flat tire. It was probably five inches long. I take it all back, I'm very sorry, please go away now.

Tonight's religious musing: I was trying for the past few weeks to get a game of Hearthstone with a Jewish friend of mine who observes the Sabbath - that combined with my work schedule and a 3-hour time difference made it pretty much impossible. But it occurred to me on the ride home (as things do) that there's an odd quirk of language when talking about Christianity vs. Judaism: Christians talk about practices they "won't" do because they are wrong or sinful. Jews, on the other hand, seem to have a list of things they "can't" do. You never hear "I won't work on the Sabbath" - it's always "I can't." It's half "mom said so" and half "I'm physically not wired that way." Strange, that.

Tomorrow I'm going to play Pathfinder with coworkers! There will probably be more on that in the future.

And again, leaving the Amco stop on the drawing board. I'll get there, I promise. Good night, everyone! I'm going to go play The Crew for three hours till the beta shuts down.


* which is probably for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment