Thursday, August 21, 2014

A little bird told me

Weather: Chilly? What is this??
Encounters: Close, of the avian kind.

A brief story before I head off to do some more drawing.

This afternoon I went downstairs to prepare a sandwich before heading to work, when a loud thumping at the window made me jump. I looked over to the dining room, whose outer wall is a set of floor-to-ceiling bay windows. And there, perched on the chair rail/sill (INside), was a bird. As I watched it tried again to escape, but the window frame kept it from accidentally finding the open patio door and it was too panicked to even consider flying away from the safety of outside.

I walked towards it in an attempt to shoo/scare it towards the patio door, but as I got close it just froze in panic. Plan B: I grabbed a towel and returned, holding it wide open to create a more imposing "wall". Again, nothing - he was just too scared. So with no other options, I surrounded the bird (this close, I could tell it was a male robin) with the towel and carefully scooped him up.

From there it was a short walk out the door, and I opened up the towel. The robin sat there in my hands for a couple seconds, hunkered down in fear, and finally made a break for the trees on the far side of the lawn. And I went back and finished making my sandwich. It took a while for my heart to slow down, though.

Sadly I didn't take a picture (my hands were full). So here is a dramatization. Good night!

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment