Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Time well wasted

Weather: Perfect
Encounters: Cobwebs q:
Focus: Fleeting

I had a mostly great weekend. Saturday was another round of Pathfinder, in which I continued my pastime of tricking goblins into doing silly things. This time, our party had just fallen into a trap while on our way to a pirates' camp: our sorcerer fell into a pit, and our fighter and druid both got trapped under a large net. I (along with the druid's pet roc) was the only one to avoid getting trapped. As we rolled initiative and started the fight, we had a problem: someone was slinging spears at us from the woods, but we couldn't see any of them.

The fighter got free of the net, and the roc pulled the sorcerer out of the pit (conveniently, a medium-sized bird can carry a gnome). Then I was up... so in classic form, I called out in Goblin: "Nice work! We've caught them. Help me round them up!"

Moments later, six goblins stood up out of the bushes, a little confused. One of them walked directly past me as he tried to subdue the druid. I kinda stabbed him.

Sunday I spent with a friend wandering northern Seattle. We ate dumplings, I got a coconut porter ice cream float, and found a nice little hole-in-the-wall cocktail bar where we experimented with Fernet Vallet, a Mexican take on the classic Fernet Branca. The bartender put it into a mezcal Toronto, which was super tasty but lacked a little of the punch you get from the traditional rye/fernet branca combo. It made me think of the Sfozando, and whether the same kind of rye/mezcal split would work in this case. Well, if I ever see Fernet Vallet again I'll give it a go. (:

Unfortunately I ended up drinking too much, which made this morning a rough affair. I wasn't fully recovered till about 6pm (three hours into my shift), and that combined with very slow tools made the day rather low on the productivity front. It was frustrating, and at this point in my contract I'm getting pretty paranoid about getting let go next month, so any bad day turns into the end of the world. Just need to stay focused and try to reach out and be useful.

Four days till the Boston crew arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment